Re: Top of the Marque

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Top of the Marque
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:02:59 -0400
Hi David,

>David Jones wrote:<snip>
 I have some questions about the merit of having an original hard-top.

> 1.) This is an original BT7 hard top in v. good condition inside and out.
Does
> anyone know roughly how many of these are floating around? You don't see
them
> on cars, for sale, or even at concours events very often.....

I can't really answer this. I know the values have gone crazy in the last
few years with really good ones going for almost 3 grand. Rough ones needing
a full restoration can be bought for very little, but it's going to take a
lot of time, effort and money to restore it correctly.

> 2.) Is there any point in displaying a pristine hardtop along with the car
in
> a concours event, or are you just opening yourself up to more potential
point
> deductions?

Absolutely, please do display your car with the original factory
hardtop.What we have done for the encouragement of showing a fitted hardtop
is:
<quote from Concours Guidelines 2004> "When cars are shown with hard tops
the soft top and its frame are NOT judged and do not have to be shown"

> 3.) If you have a really nice one, what price are they generally going
for?

See above.....

> 4.) Is it considered a crime at concours and otherwise, if you had say,
the AH
> club emblem or a British flag airbrushed on a hardtop?

That would cost you points as the finish would be considered "non standard
or non original finish"

> 5.) On a Colorado red over black BT7, the hardtop would be?   -Black?

Most likely Black.

Hope this helps
Rich Chrysler
National Concours Committee Member