Re: posting from Bob Brown (was HTML) Subject: OD Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: posting from Bob Brown (was HTML) Subject: OD Question
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:05:07 -0400
Hi, Bob -

My BJ8 overdrive operated very similarly when I first bought the car.  O/D
would seem to work normally until after cruising for a while; if I had to stop
for any reason, the O/D would not shift back into overdrive anymore until the
car sat long enough to cool off.  I suspected a temperature/viscosity-related
issue with the oil.

When I rebuilt my O/D, I found that the aluminum accumulator housing had a lot
of scoring on the internal bore where the piston moves.  I concluded that the
scoring was bad enough that the internal leakage was such that there wasn't
enough pressure when the oil thinned out due to heat to move the accumulator
piston back to expose the ports to the metering pin.  In any event, I replaced
the accumulator housing, the piston, and also the operating pistons and
rings/seals at the same time, as well as reseating the check valve ball.  My
overdrive has worked normally for the last 10 years.

I believe the accumulator housing can be removed without removing the O/D,
although I'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps.
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666