As the engine turns...

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: As the engine turns...
From: "Dick Lutin" <lutin@acssigns.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:24:38 -0500
Gentlemen,

I'm in the midst of a restoration of my 1965 BJ8 phase 1.  I was hoping to
avoid rebuilding the
engine as it ran fine when I parked it 15 years ago.  During that time it's
been stored (out of the car) in
an unheated garage.  When I moved the engine out of storage last November I
was happy to find that
I could turn the front crankshaft pully by hand.

Tonight a friend of mine came over and mentioned that because of the engine
compression I should
not be able to turn the engine by hand...

I know that the real test is to bolt it down and power up the starter with a
compression testor in each cylinder.
But, should the engine turn by hand or is it a good indication of needing new
rings?

How much might an engine rebuild cost me and who should I take it to?

Thanks!

Dick

Dick Lutin
ACS Sign Systems