BN7--Intermittent miss, continued

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: BN7--Intermittent miss, continued
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:01:54 EDT
I posted a few weeks back about an intermittent miss on the 3000, to which I
received a number of helpful, if inconsistent, replies--some suggesting
mixture and others spark..  In the interim, the intermittency has become "less
intermittent", appears pretty regularly when accelerating slowly or moderately
from
low RPM's (2000 or so) and seems to be more of a fluttering at constant
cruising speeds (3000 or so) but does NOT appear under load--there is no miss
under
hard acceleration all the way up to redline.

Under the theory that most carburettor problems are spark-related I thought
that I would start with the ignition system.  In doing an "in-the-dark" test
for visible spark leaks tonight I happened to rest my forearm on both the
ignition cap and fender and got a definite shock which seems to be coming from
around the coil lead where it comes out of the cap, though nothing was visible.
could not find any crack or arc trail on the cap either in or out, but I
wonder if this is signifigant?

Best--Michael Oritt