Re: Starting nut removal

To: list healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting nut removal
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:33:50 -0600
Hi Don,

It takes a 1 11/16" - 43 mm wrench. You might get it with a socket &
breaker bar. Sometimes they are pretty tight. If you arrange for the
breaker bar handle to come up against something solid, hitting the
starter will sometimes break it loose. Another possibility is to use an
impact wrench if your particular frame arrangement allows access.

The last & best, in my opinion is to use a striking/slugging wrench such
as shown in the factory shop manuals.
You can get an idea of what these wrenches look like here:
http://www.newmantools.com/wrenches/ozatfsw.htm
It's kind of expensive for a one time use but not bad for a club purchase.

However you get it off, make sure that it is tightened back to a similar
torque when you replace it.

Good luck,
Dave Russell
BN2