Re: confession of an over active imagination

To: "healeylist" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: confession of an over active imagination
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:27 -0700
Dr. Rubino,

re:

"Now remember I had just installed a new pump when this problem started. So I
 took the fittings of the pump and lined them with plumbers teflon tape and
 suddenly no air leak and no running on of pump. Enough for one day."

Glad this solved the problem ... BUT ... I believe the better solution is to
use new fibre
washers.  These take a "set" and you can (maybe) reuse them once, but you're
better off replacing them any time you break the connection.  I carry a
half-dozen
or more in my parts kit (they're used in the carburettor connections as well).

They often have to be re-tightened after they've "set" as well (you can soften
them
up a little by soaking them in a light oil--like WD40--for awhile before you
install ...
anybody know a downside to this?).  It's a good idea to check all the fuel
connections
as part of routine maintenance.

I'm assuming you're talking about an SU pump (if I recall your earlier posts you
are).

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net