Noise found

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Noise found
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:06:15 EDT
Today I:

1.  Screwed around with shims on the starter mounts and ran engine--noise
still there.

2.  Jacked car up and pulled starter, dropped car down and roll-started it
with no starter at all--noise still there (Now I'm getting concerned!).

3.  Jacked car up and reinstalled starter, started car (noise still there, of
course), crawled under car while it was running and noticed for the first
time (I have been under the car at least 5 times in the last three days) a
fresh
paint scrape and indentation on the oil pan.

4. Placed fingers against dent and felt crank tapping against the pan--a
slight push changes the intensity of the tapping.

I must have ran over something the last time I had the car out just before
the starter died.
I'll drop the pan tomorrow and press out the dent, making sure there is no
damage to the metal.  Then I can get back to the intermittent miss!

Best--Michael Oritt