RE: Free LA area bubblecar show August 7 in Long Beach

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>,
Subject: RE: Free LA area bubblecar show August 7 in Long Beach
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:04:43 +1000
G'day Steve

The mind boggles at the idea of driving a supercharged Isetta.

A couple of years back I was preparing a magazine article on a three
wheller BMW Isetta that was made in Brighton in England. I was driving
and the photographer was standing on the little platform behind the two
seats with his upper body sticking through the sunroof. We didn't know
that just below that platform was the battery. His weight pushed the
platform down causing a short to the battery and after a little time we
could not only smell smoke but see it as well.

This got even worse as flames could soon be seen coming from around the
rear mounted engine.

Luckily the owner was close by and switched on and thanksfully had a
fire extinguisher in his modern BMW and soon put out the flames. It was
a pretty lemon yellow colour when we started and I don't think the owner
was very happy with the blackened paintwork and damaged engine bay,
especially as he had not long before imported it from the UK and
restored it.

I saw him a couple of years later and all had been forgiven.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon