Re: Noise and intermittent miss

To: Awgertoo@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noise and intermittent miss
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
Mike / List -

My experience is only new engines require any sort of
priming, and cam lube & a little oil is all that is
necessary.

In the case of a used motor where you are just
dropping the pan... there's no need for priming... if
you let any healey sit for more than a couple days
it'll usually drain the oil out of the oil pump
anyway.

I've turned over my healeys after sitting for as much
as a year... oil pressure is never a problem.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8
--- Awgertoo@aol.com wrote:

> I got a sump gasket today for my wife's 3000 and
> refit the pan, filled the
> engine with oil and, after pulling the plugs, spun
> it over for about 20 seconds
> until oil pressure appeared on the guage, then
> reinstalled the plugs and fired
> the engine over.  The frightful clunking
> noise--caused by the mysterious dent
> in the oilpan just interfering with the nuts for the
> #2 big end--was gone as
> a result of my having carefully banged out the
> depressio.
>
> My wife and I took the car for a nice ride and the
> "intermittent miss"
> (remember that) also seems to be gone.  It appears
> that putting 30W oil in the carb
> piston reservoirs richened it up enough to eliminate
> the low-speed miss and
> cruising-speed flutter (thanks Dave Russell for the
> good diagnosis).
>
> BTW, I got some conflicting opinions on whether or
> not to pack the oil pump
> with vaseline prior to restarting.. Some listers,
> whose opinions I respect
> highly, suggested that the oil pump and line to the
> OP guage would be airlocked
> and not prime. OTOH, others also with much
> experience said that I should just
> pull the plugs and spin the engine till pressure
> appeared. I just didn't like
> the concept of sticking vaseline in the engine so I
> took the second route and
> had no problems.
>
> Thanks to all for the patience and help--Michael
> Oritt

Check out the new British Cars Forum: