Re: Chip Repair

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chip Repair
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:16:58 -0400
Hi, Patton -
If the large chips are on the aluminum shrouds, just clean, prime and touch-up
paint as you wish, since the surface is not going to corrode.  You can fill
small chips in the paint using the end of a paper matchstick dipped in the
touch-up paint.  A magnifying glass will make it easier to see what you are
doing.
If the large chips are on a steel part of the car, I would recommend
degreasing and painting any bare metal with Corroless (available from Eastwood
in spray can or brush-on).  A couple coats of this stuff will stop any rusting
pretty much forever.  You can leave the chips that way, or begin to develop
some bodywork skills by filling the large chips with body glazing compound,
smoothing it out by wet-sanding, and overcoating with a touch-up paint to
match your paint as close as possible.
Bodywork isn't difficult; it just requires a lot of hands-on practice to get
good at it, and you gotta start somewhere.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry