Re: Colorado Red

To: Richard Bittmann <edmyed@harbornet.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Colorado Red
From: Rick Swain <grain@auracom.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:40:36 -0300
on 8/4/04 6:34 PM, Richard Bittmann at edmyed@harbornet.com wrote:

> My car is ready for paint but I've just learned that RD.02 (ICI Code 3742) is
> no longer valid and PPG can't make it in single stage urethane paint.
> Does anyone on the list have any information regarding a correct color match?
>
> Richard Bittmann BJ7

Richard

I was told that a Porsche colour (from the 80's I believe) called Guards Red
is close enough to Colorado Red to be indistinguishable from it. That's what
I used on my car. It looked the same as the original colour (what I could
see of it up under the dash). At a recent meet where there were at least 4
other red Healeys mine looked like the rest. Either it's close enough to
appear the same or 4 other people are using Guards Red as well. I got paint
for my car from 2 sources - 1 for the chassis and a base coat-clear coat for
the body. the paints looked identical so there must be some consistency with
that paint code - between a couple of manufacturers at least.

Hope this helps.

Rick Swain
59 BN4

Check out the new British Cars Forum: