Jersey and other DMV - was Re: the reality TV version (No

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jersey and other DMV - was Re: the reality TV version (No
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:52:55 -0400
I lived all my life in Jersey before moving to Charleston three years ago.
Did many a battle with DMV.  The best one, which was too funny to get upset
about, was at the Trenton DMV.  I made the drive to Trenton to save time
getting my plates on the BN2 - they issue them while you're there
(everywhere else mails them).  I had purchased the car from a gent in Alaska
and had the Alaska title with me.  When I handed it over to the young woman
she commented about the AK on the document: "Arkansas, I don't see many from
there".  I corrected her that the AK stood for Alaska (big mistake).  She
said "oh, I don't think we can do titles from there".  I sensed the problem
and assured her that Alaska is now part of our country and has been for
several months.  She consulted with a co-worker who couldn't help.  She
suggested I go around the block to the special plates building.  I did and
they were more familiar with Alaska's status in the Union.

Mike L.

> Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:40:56 -0400
> From: healeyolic <healey6@optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: the reality TV version (No technical content)
>
> Well, since it IS Friday, and we are speaking of New Jersey and License
> plates, when I moved back here in 2000, DMV refused to license my two year
> old Oldsmobile because it had been leased in Nevada and the leasing comany
> was located in California. They said that it was illegal to transfer a
> leased car into New Jersey. After letters and appeals to Trenton,
California
> and God,  6 weeks later they gave me a temporary registration. Another two
> months and more letters I finally got the title. BTW they charged me a fee
> each step of the way. They told me that my Nevada title had to be convered
> to a California title and then to a NJ title. A year later I purchased the
> car and it took another two months, more checks written and new plates to
> get it into my name.
>
> As far as my Healey is concerned, I walked out with the registration and
> title after only two to three MINUTES in DMV even though, at the time, I
was
> missing a VIN plate.
>
> Is it any wonder why several of the 9-1 terrorists, illegally in the
> country, posssessed valid NJ drivers licenses?
>
> John Sims, BN6
> Aberdeen, NJ

Mike Lempert
Lempert Wheels