Re: Steering Box

To: "Terry Blubaugh" <tblubaugh@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering Box
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:05:28 -0700
It's a PITA, but I've done it.

1) drain the oil (it'll come out anyway when you remove the seal, if you prefer)

2) use a hooked pick--or take a thin-blade screwdriver and bend about 1/16"
of the tip 90deg--to extract the old seal

3) tap in the new seal  ... I had to use two long, round rods with one end
ground
   flat since a) there isn't enough room around the (Pittman?) shaft for two
screwdrivers
  and b) you need to keep the seal from just rocking when you press on one side

The trick in installing the new seal is to hold pressure on one side when you
press
on the other and to move the insertion "tools" around (similar to when
installing
any other type of seal, only harder ;)

Be sure to get the original style seal--think I got a couple from
Hemphill's--some
vendors sell an "equivalent" part from Chicago Rawhide (the shell is green)
which
isn't thick enough to seat well in the box. The original style is almost 1/4"
thick and
appears to have a mild steel shell.

BTW, if the shaft has a groove ground into it the new seal will probably leak
and
you'll have to pull the box to replace the shaft (it may be possible to machine
it smooth
if the groove isn't too deep).

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> Does anyone know if it is possible and/or feasible to replace the
> steering box oil seal with the box "in situ"?  Or, is it necessary to
> remove the box through the grill opening?  Thanks.
>
> Terry Blubaugh
> Diamond Bar, CA
>  '60 BT7   (With a vanity plate that reads " IM A 60")

Check out the new British Cars Forum: