Re: Coolant Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coolant Question
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:37:15 -0400
On Sat August 7 2004 5:34 pm, Mark and kathy LaPierre wrote:
> His reply was that they don't like to remove the bottle because they
> sometimes break ( I guess I can buy that)  and the fluid will not mix in
> with the rest,  that fluid is just incase there is a leak in the main
> system then it will have this fluid to use so it doesn't run dry.  I'm
> having a hard time accepting that one.

...as well you should have.

Short answer: giving the worker the benefit of the doubt, he may not have
known any better, but as long as coolant from the engine is entering the
reservoir and getting pulled back into the engine, then over some period of
time (depending upon the quantity and frequency of exchange/mixing), the
mixing will be total.

In practice, dilution of the old coolant by the new would make it a minor
point, but I always prefer at least to remove the old coolant from the
reservoir, even if the reservoir doesn't get scrubbed out.
--
John Miller

"I am, therefore I am."
        -Akira