Steering box theory

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box theory
From: Stephen Hutchings <hutching@the-wire.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:55:05 -0400
I plan to haul the steering box out of my BJ8 this winter to tackle
another one of those jobs I haven't done before. When I read the
manual in anticipation, I'd like to understand the function of the
adjusting shims better. It looks as though taking shims out would put
more pressure on the cam bearings by leaving less clearance between
the end plate and the bearing, and vice versa. Is this a matter of
adjusting end float as in the wheel bearings? Or am I missing
something?
Thanks, as always
Stephen, BJ8