Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment/DW steel head gasket

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Head Valve Adjustment/DW steel head gasket
From: PETER DAVIS <paddymck@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:38:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
The answer from DW was that the 3 layer steel head gasket is fitted
dry for steel or aluminum heads and torqued to 75ft.lb.  The chamfer
in the DW hardened stud washers (recommended their special studs and
nuts for a tight seal) face up.  The silicon rubber sealant is for the
studs, as was reported by Gary, and any other general sealing
requirements at high temperature.

Clearance should generally be set according to the camshaft supplier
and DW is saying 0.012in for their own designs and standard.
Incidentally how do you measure it "hot"?  I can visualize getting the
cover off in time for it to be "warm" but how much difference is it
going to make?  Has anybody set it "hot" on one rocker and then
checked it "cold" later to find the difference with aluminum and steel
heads, then we could use the cold number anyway?

Peter Davis