Re: Adjustable Steering Wheel]

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustable Steering Wheel]
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:02:34 -0500
Terry,

You did remove the three grub screws in the steering wheel hub.

Assuming that you've disconnected the wiring harness before it feeds into the
steering box, the control head should come out.  If it doesn't then you can
remove the brass nut and compression fitting on the front of the steering box.
You should then be able to pull the control head and the stator tube assembly
out of the steering column.  The control head mounts to the short stator tube
which rides in a slot in the long stator tube.  The long tube sometimes fails
and I've seen them welded together.

Bob

Terry Blubaugh wrote:
> We started to remove a leaking steering box from an old BT7 this
> morning, but immediately ran into a problem.  Simply put, we cannot
> remove the older style control head assembly from the adj. steering
> wheel.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: