Re: 100M starter

To: acmiller@mhcable.com, healeydoc@sbcglobal.net, rusd@velocitus.net,
Subject: Re: 100M starter
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:45:05 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/2004 1:26:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
acmiller@mhcable.com writes:
We have rebuilt the M and are in the process trying to tune it. The engine is
tough to turn over, and, although we had the original starter rebuilt (25521D
9-52), it just doesn't want to turn the M over. We have the street M cam and
9:1 pistons, so it is not a radical motor, but there definitely is
resistance.

Should we replace the starter with a new reduction gear starter,
Al--

I have the reduction starter on my Le Mans w/higher compression and it spins
over very fast.

BTW, I just went through a very wierd experience concerning the starter on my
wife's 3000:

The car came to me with s stock starter which did not spin over very fast and
after some time I installed a reduction starter on it too--this was an
improvement in that it spun the engine over much faster, though not as fast as
the
one on my 100, but it was a different brand so I paid little attention to it.

About a month ago the starter began to faill (or so I thought)--it sounded
like the pinion was engaging the ring gear okay but the starter lacked the
ability to turn over the engine.  I pulled the unit and took it to a local
starter
shop--they told me that there is an internal clutch that sometimes fails,
replaced it for $60 and gave it back to me.  I reinstalled the unit and still
no
luck.  I reinstalled an original (freshly rebuilt) Lucas starter and STILL no
luck.  Bruce Phillips at Healey Surgeons listened to it and said he was pretty
sure that my ring gear must have crept forward--it is pressed onto the
flywheel from the front--and was jamming the starter motor.  I pulled the Lucas
starter and the ring gear was in fct about 1/4" forward in some spots.  Drove
it
back in position and had it tacked in about 6 places around its circumference
and, since I had switched the wiring back to original solenoid wiring, I
reinstalled the Lucas starter--car starts fine!

 All is well now though I will certainly replace the gear whenever I have the
engine out.
Wanna buy a freshly (and unnecessarily) rebuilt reduction starter?

Best--Michael Oritt

Check out the new British Cars Forum: