oil leak

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil leak
From: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:56:45 +0200
List,

on a pleasant drive yesterday I noticed an abnormal smell obviously coming from
my BT7's engine. Temperature looked ok but oil pressure was a bit low at 50psi
(normally shows 55psi when engine hot). So I stopped to check the oil level and
found no traces of oil on the dipstick though I had checked the level 100 miles
before. Took out my spare oil of the trunk and poured some in when I saw a
puddle of oil accumulating under my car. Had someone towing me back home and
had a look under the car. Oil pan looked good with no dents or cracks in it.
Oil was spilled all under the car backwards from approximately where the
bellhousing meets the engine (now it's been rust protected for the coming
winter  ;-).

My question is, is it most likely that the back seal of the crankshaft went
bad? If yes, can this be caused by running the car with too much engine oil in
it and what is the reason for it? In case I have to renew this seal are there
any suggestions what to renew as well once this part of the car is repaired?

Thanks for all recommendations.

Eric            BT7
Heinsberg/Germany

Check out the new British Cars Forum: