100M header followup

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 100M header followup
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:16:15 -0400
Thank you everyone for input on the headers. After cooking the original 100
starter, we quickly bought a reduction gear starter and got the M started long
enought to really tune it. The glowing headers are a thing of the past, but I
will probably remount the wide non-stock fiberglass backed aluminum shield
that came with the car. It is well made.

I also will be removing the headers for Jet Coating after getting in a few
miles this fall. It seems to be a must for everyone.

We have very pleasant aesthetics coming from the modified exhaust. We bought
the DW headers, and ended them out with two lengths of heavy duty spiral pipe
endings from a pair of new 3000 downpipes. This allowed fitting directly into
a stock 3000 muffler. I braised on the Dennis Welch  "trouser piece" at a
slight angle to the back of the muffler, and was able to route the exhaust
through the original arch in the left rear outrigger, and into the large bore
exhaust pipe. This entailed some slight mounting alterations, and an extra
horizontal strut holding the headers into toward the engine, which we
conveniently attached with rubber bushings through one of the three holes in
the brake cylinder arm. End result is a very free-flow exhaust, with header
performance, but routing of the exhaust past the ears to the rear. Haven't
heard it at full throttle, but am anxiously awaiting the chance.

Allen Miller

Check out the new British Cars Forum: