Fender Archeology

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fender Archeology
From: "Rick Neves" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:05:08 -0400
I have two different fenders on my BN-2 Project.

One has the lead filled grove and the vent hole under the flash and the
other is the larger wheel opening style that does not have the vent hole
more like what you'd expect on a late BN-2.

After close inspection, both appear to have the same level and color of
deteriorated paint on the inside surface, something that I consider an
indication that they were originally paired with the vehicle. However, the
fact that they are different sizes makes it unlikely that the car would have
been shipped that way. Of course the oversight would be easily made since
you can't see both sides at the same time.
Anderson and Moment suggests that the lead filled style was an experimental
batch that may have crept into inventory.

My vehicle was one of the last few BN-2's to be made (one of the last 60 in
fact) so that makes it more likely that it would have the wider opening.

The strange thing is that if I were to pick one of the fenders as a possible
repair replacement I would pick the one with the wider opening because that
side of the car seems to have suffered some level of distress. After soda
blasting it was apparent that the Shroud had some ripples on that side and
the king pin has reamed out bushings. There was also a non-standard
headlight assembly, but I'm not exactly sure what side of the car that came
from but it seems to fit best on the side in question.

Does anybody know if any Healeys were shipped with different sized front
fenders?

Anderson and Moment suggest that the lead filled fenders often came on only
one side and that is the case for mine. but during the end of the build
would they put on a "normal" late BN-2 fender with the experimental style??

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2

_._