Front generator bearing BT7

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front generator bearing BT7
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:18:36 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: davidwjones
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 8:56 PM

Hi,
I had my BT7's generator all apart once before, but due to severe CRS, I have
a question:

I know the front bearing is captive in the front plate of the generator, and
to replace the bearing you drill out the rivets, to remove the old bearing.
(I
have new bearing and replacement rivets). But:

Is the front bearing pressed onto the generator shaft, needing some kind of
puller, or should it just slide off? (also, then, does the new bearing have
be pressed back on the shaft?
Also, is there any trick to centering the bearing in the front plate, or does
it only go in one way?

I don't want to get this apart only to find I don't have what I need to
finish
the job!

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb