Re: spark plug gap

To: John Soderling <jsoderling@astound.net>,
Subject: Re: spark plug gap
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:57:15 -0700
John, Ed, List:

I have used the Pertronix (and other) electronic ignition systems in my
Healeys for many years with Lucas sports coils without any problems
whatsoever.  The Pertronix literature (LU162A - for BJ8 distributor with a
NEG ground car) that I am looking at makes no reference to coils, other than
if the car won't run, measure the coil's resistance to determine if it is
the right spec.

I think that a lot of the confusion evident may be a result of the Healeys
original Lucas coils being of the self-balasted design - ie: no separate
balast resistor or wire is used in the ignition system, it is integral to
the coil itself, whether or not it's a standard coil or a higher output
(sports) coil.  Thus, if you were to choose a non-ballasted accessory coil,
you would have to add an external ballast resistor of the correct value.

While on that subject, (more to the original query re: plug gaps), in simple
terms, the spark plug gap spec depends more on the output of the coil than
anything else -with higher coil output, the wider the plug gap can be while
still delivering a strong spark, all within reason, of course.  This is true
whether or not the 'switching' is done by points or electronically.  There
is also a practical coil voltage limit that the Lucas distributor can
handle - it's physically pretty small and will cross fire in the cap with an
overly high coil voltage.

After lots of testing on both Healeys (and an MGB - the Healeys equipped
with older Lucas sports coils), I have found that both of my Healey engines
seem to run best with plugs gapped at .030 (.025 being the original spec.)
with the gas that is available today.  At .035, they didn't peform quite as
well.  These tests were done at various times with a mix and match of both
points and Pertronix.

Hope I didn't fan any flames here!  Vroooming at .030.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8