Re: Brake noise (BJ8)

To: Thomas Mulligan <tpmul@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Brake noise (BJ8)
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:28:04 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas -

Before adjusting the hand brake, you must first adjust
the rear brake shoes.  You do this by following the
procedure in the manual... basically you adjust them
by turning the square headed bolt located on the
backside of the shoe mounting plate.  There is a very
detailed description of this procedure in the manual.

After this adjustment is done, you then adjust the
hand brake slack by twisting the little fork at the
end of the handbrake that hooks to the "balance lever"
which is mounted to the rear axle.

I caution you that if you take the easy way out and
simply tighten up the fork without first taking up the
slack in the brake shoes, you will restrict the swing
travel of the balance lever and your hand brake will
not work very well... even if there is no slack in it.
 Been there done that....

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- Thomas Mulligan <tpmul@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies to my request for help
> with the brake noise
> coming from my right rear wheel. Many of you made
> suggestions to look where
> I would have never thought to look. I think I have
> narrowed it down to my
> hand brake mechanism. While my rear brakes appear to
> be correctly adjusted
> and not worn, the hand brake appears to need some
> slack taken out. I have
> searched the archives and could find nothing about
> adjusting the hand brake.
> And the manuals are very elusive on the subject.
> Can anyone explain the procedure?
> Thanks
> Tom

Check out the new British Cars Forum: