lowered windscreen

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: lowered windscreen
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:27:26 -0400
>From all I've read, the folding windscreen on 100's has been universally
disparaged because the weatherstrip flaps in the down position. When we
finally got the M on the road last, I had a blast running with the screen
down. Even my wife tolerates it, and she's gotten pretty adept at putting her
side down.

Driving with the windscreen is not all that windy, even with the strip out of
the channel. We have wrap around sunglasses made to fit over eyeglasses which
work perfectly in the daytime, and I'm temporarily using clear shop goggles
for night driving. We're going to put a pair of ratty, but original Brookland
screens on, which in test fitting add about three fingers of extra screening.
At 40-50 mph, placing three fingers above the lowered screen almost completely
directs the airfoil over your head.  (No, I'm not the circus midget; it really
works).

Because the weatherstrip was dry rotted and long gone, we weren't getting the
flutter others report, so we haven't seen the 'down' side down. I've bought a
new strip, but haven't put it in yet,and am looking for tips for mitigating
the wind flapping.  It seems there are two potential causes:

1.     part of the problem is that when the screen is forward, the weather
seal edge no longer follows the contours of the cowl due to the 'valleys' at
the sides.Would stuffing varying thicknesses of felt underneath help?

2.    I've noticed the new weather strip doesn't have as much curvature. At
Lime Rock, I examined Peter Davis' M, which had a very smart fitting seal with
no wrinking at the trailing edge. He had to point out two cuts he had expertly
made in the strip and annealed back together with rubber sealant, one near
each end. Would doing this help mitigate the 'flapping lips' syndrome? (not
mine, the car's).

I'd welcome any input from 100 types who've succeeded in getting the seals to
function correctly down and well as up.

Allen Miller.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: