Re: Headlights Kill Engine

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, "Alan Schultz"
Subject: Re: Headlights Kill Engine
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:25:41 -0700
On this note, I've gotten into the habit of putting dielectric grease in/on all
appropriate electrical connections when I R&R them.  By "appropriate," I
mean things like plug wires, spade connections and under the rubber caps that
cover the high-current leads to the starter solenoid.  A little messy
sometimes,
but I'm hoping this saves me problems down the road.

The gold standard for this stuff is Dow Corning #4, which is available at
aviation
shops and elsewhere and is pretty expensive.  I'm currently using some stuff
from
CRC that comes in an aerosol can and seems to work pretty well.

I think it's especially useful where electrical connections are covered--like
under
the rubber caps on the solenoid--and moisture can collect.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

>I would add solenoid to battery, as all the juice flows through there, had
> that problem once in the past after a long stretch of humid weather and
> corrosion to the terminals on the solenoid.
>
> Greg Lemon
> 54 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: