Re: Was headlights kill engine

To: "Kenny Johnson" <theswed@hotmail.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Was headlights kill engine
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:40:27 -0700
Kenny,

Assume you've ruled out the voltage regulator?

Rebuilding the generator isn't too bad a job: one bearing, one bushing, brushes
and turn the commutator.  Any decent motor/starter shop should be able to do
it.  If you have a press, you can do the bearings and bushings yourself, but
you'll
need a lathe to turn the commutator.  The only problem might be finding parts;
esp.
the brushes (think Moss used to carry them).  Think the brushes might be the
same
as those used on the starter, BTW.  Should be a $50 job, whereas a new one, if
you
can find it, would be $300 or more.

UNLESS ... the armature windings and/or the wrap on the field coils are shot
... then
it becomes a bit more of a job, but still doable.  Think Norm Nock's tech tips
cover these.

Don't forget to oil the bushing after you get a new/rebuilt generator.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> On my first trip (other than around the block) in my car since a three year
> frame off restoration, I also experienced electrical problems.  My battery
> eventually died and I also had to push start my car.  It seems like the
> generator isn't charging the battery.   Anyone know a good source for a
> generator?  Or am I stuck getting mine rebuilt?  I noticed Moss does not
> list one.
>
> Kenny
> 61 BT-7 (finally back on the road)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: