Re: BJ8 disc brakes, was knock-back

To: gschwind@charter.net, Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: BJ8 disc brakes, was knock-back
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:53:56 -0700
Don:

If it's only the LF wheel, you may have a hydraulic problem - remote chance
it's the rubber hose to that caliper.  More likely one or both caliper
pistons are seized or very very stiff in the bores - you should be able to
get some slight movement when you try to push them back.

To check, have someone apply slight pressure to the brake pedal with the
pads removed, just enough to get something moving.  If one moves, clamp it
with a c-clamp or some such and do the exercise again to see if the other
one will move.  If you get both pistons moving, you can keep doing the same
dance until things seem a bit better - (press one back, the other comes out,
then reverse it - back and forth a few times).  Just take care that you
don't eject a piston - then the fun begins!  (This is supposed to be a
complete no-no, but I have used a bit of WD 40 or something similar on the
sides of the pistons to assist - just a bit to lube the 'dry' side of the
piston, not enough to get anything real wet when you're finished.)

If you get the thing working that way, I recommend checking the right side
well.

Let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.