Re: transmission noise

To: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: transmission noise
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:40:45 -0400
I was going to suggest worn or missing needle bearings also. I found that my
trans made a pronounced deep "whine" under load for the first 5 years I owned
it. When I replaced any worn parts in the box during restoration, I found
random needle bearings with slight wear visible. I replaced them all, and the
trans is quiet under load now.
I found that replacing all the needle bearings was a pain, ..until I found I
could "glue" them in place long enough for assembly, using light white lithium
grease, to hold them in place.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA