Re: speedometer conversion

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>,
Subject: Re: speedometer conversion
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:42:45 -0700
Allen:

I know of at least two BN2 owners who have installed 3:545 gearing and are
very pleased with the results - I supplied the salvaged diff pods.  The
original pod bolts right into the BN2 axle housing, or a Lempert 3:545 crown
/ pinion set can be installed into your own diff pod.

One is a friend near me who has a re-engined (and re-transmissioned) car,
the other is running a stock BN2 gearbox / 28% overdrive, so the car is
geared really 'tall', but he seems to love it that way.

If you went this route, you would not have to correct your speedometer
gearing - if your new 140 MPH speedo was originally matched to a 3:6 rear
end, a 3:545 would be all but spot on - the difference would be negligible,
and the speedometer should be accurate without modification.

The gent with the stock BN2 has normally watched this list in the past, but
I haven't seen anything from him lately.  I will try to blind copy this
e-mail to him - I believe a discussion with him would be most helpful to you
at this point.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb