Re: Restoration Question

To: <STOCKLAND@aol.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Restoration Question
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:18:32 -0400
Jon,
I have always assumed that a frame-on restoration just meant that the body was
not removed when whatever else was done to "restore" the car.
That would mean that the body was only painted on the outside, and that the
frame was generally not painted.
In some ways, this should be regarded with some concern, because there isn't
really a means for determining what was, and what was not done. I always think
that if the car was not more or less "ground up" in it's restoration, I wonder
how much effort and attention was put into what WAS done. -Of course that
would depend also upon whether the car was from a dry climate, well cared for,
or whether it had previously been completely restored.
You really need to take each car as an individual case, since sellers often
use a lot of license in using terms like "nut and bolt" "ground up" "frame
off" and "concours" restorations. Often, it is not even intended as
misleading. -Different people have different standards for each definition.
One man's "frame-on" restoration may be just fresh paint!
This kind of restoration might be of particular concern on a Healey, because
of it's tendency to harbor tinworm in hidden locations. It is unlikely that a
frame on restoration would address:

shroud flanges where they meet the fenders
Sills
Rockers
Outriggers
floors
undercoat
frame crossmembers
dog legs
lower hinge pillar

Not to mention just the general appearance and condition of the frame and
internal structural components. The up side of a frame on restoration is that,
carefully inspected, it might be a very attractive driver, but should not
command nearly the price of a car that has been fully restored.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA