Master brake & clutch cylinders

To: <Healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Master brake & clutch cylinders
From: "Ron Fine Esq." <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:01:18 -0700
I anticipate getting my newly painted chassis back next week and I am looking
forward to beginning the process of rebuilding my BN7.  One of the first
things to go back into the engine bay is the master brake and clutch
cylinders.  They were working fine when removed last spring but I don't want
to have to remove them again in the next 10 years so I am looking at them to
see if they need rebuilding or replacing.  One is obviously old and has the
imprint of Girling 5/8 on the body.  The other is new and has only a few
letters and numbers (BI-TVS  M06Y).  I assume the Girling is possibly
original??  I know that the originals had a hard surface in the bore that
eventually wares away and they can be resleeved.  New replacements are not too
expensive.  It would be easier and quicker to just buy a new replacement
instead of sending the old one out for resleeving.  Are the modern replacement
cylinders good quality??  Are some better than others?  Is there any reason to
keep the old one and have it resleeved instead of replacing it with a new one?
All opinions and advise are appreciated as always.
Ron Fine

Check out the new British Cars Forum: