Trans noises (Smitty 5spd - Toyota - no Healey content?)

To: "healey \(E-mail\)" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Trans noises (Smitty 5spd - Toyota - no Healey content?)
From: Dean Caccavo <healeybn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
If you are offended by the subject please delete.

Even with that out of the way it does seem like a bad
time to bring up modification questions, but I have
been trying to run down a bearing noise in the 5speed
Toyota transmission that I installed a few years back
(going on 7 years), and could use some outside
expertise.  Recently it started making noises.

Symptoms/Observations:
Bearing rumble at idle - foot off clutch.  Sounds like
the transmission is dry or low on fluid.

Noise goes away when the clutch is depressed or when
you attempt to select 4th gear (activate synchro)

Actions to date:
Removed the transmission and had it rebuild by a local
tran shop. Reinstalled it this weekend and the noise
is still there, if not worse.  Shop said they replaced
synchros (fine) and all bearings.  I collected the
used bearings and synchros, with the exception of the
inner input shaft bearing (roller type), which they
did not provide.

I suspect that it was not replaced, as my symptoms
indicate an input shaft problem - why else would
slightly engaging 4th mitigate the noise.

Rulled out pilot bushing as it is silent when the
clutch is depressed.  Aside from the noise the trans
works great and the clutch provides full disengagement
- no crunching in non-synchro reverse.

Help:
I will have a conversation with the trans shop -
perhaps even bring the car to them so they can listen
for themselves.  Am I missing anything?

Dean - BN7