Re: Front Suspension

To: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Front Suspension
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:07:19 -0700
Fred,

IMO, you should stick with the rubber/steel-type "stock" bushings.

I had nylon bushes and they squeeked and thunked.  I took them out (this
is one of the toughest, least-fun jobs to do on a Healey, BTW).  I don't race,
but I drive my BJ8 hard, and I couldn't tell any difference anyway, except the
ride was a little stiffer with the nylon bushings.  I think you'll have the
same
problem with urethane bushings.

The caster angle is caused by an offset of the lower mounting brackets (the
rear bracket is slightly outboard of the front, causing the caster tilt).
Because
of this, the suspension is always in a bind, and the rubber bushings relieve
some
of the binding.  Stiffer bushes do not give , thus the "thunking" noise when
you go
over a bump.

Always bear in mind that stiffening/strenghtening one part of a suspension
transfers more load and shock elsewhere.  I put urethane bushes on the sway
bar links and the links kept snapping (aftermarked links should work better).

I think you'll probably be OK and get a little more roll stiffness if you
replace
the sway bar mounting bushes (the ones that bolt to the front of the frame).

Have your shocks rebuilt (recommend Worldwide Auto Parts in Madison, WI)
if they leak or there's side play on the shaft.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

>I have decided that my big winter project this year is a rebuild of the front
> suspension, including but not limited to all of the rubber bushings, coil
> springs, shocks etc.
>
> I have seen a number of different thoughts on bushing types, rubber, stiffer
> compounds etc.  I don't rally the car but I do drive it aggressively on quiet
> back roads.  I don't want to shake my fillings out but I am sure that any
> change of 40 year old parts will benefit the car greatly.  What types of
> bushing compounds should I think about and what sources are there?  Should I
> think about changing spring rates or stick with standard?
>
> Any words of wisdom from those of you who have done this?  Cautions or any
> cases of  "as long as you have it apart, you might as well ....."?
> Suggestions of what to do and how?
>
> I will be doing the wheel bearings as well and also the sway bar bushings.
> Any other suggestions?
>
> I have about another 6 weeks of driving fun before I start.
>
> Fred
> 63 BJ7

Check out the new British Cars Forum: