bj8 distributor rebuild

To: Austin Healey <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: bj8 distributor rebuild
From: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
I think the distributor on my BJ8 needs to be rebuilt, it has 80k miles and it
has never been rebuilt. What leads me to believe that it needs to be overhauled
is that the engine misses and backfires under load at medium high rpm. I cant
tell the exact rpm at which this happens because the tachometer is not working,
ditto for the speedometer. The points have been in the car for two years but
probably have not covered more than 200 miles in that time. The ignition wires
are new as are the points and condenser. The engine was timed first with a
timing light and followed by checking the dwell angle and setting it to spec.
The missing and backfiring is not new as the car has been doing it since I got
it back on the road after a decades long slumber. The problem I am looking at
is that there are no replacement distributors available on the Moss catalog and
the one part I though would be needed for an overhaul, bearings, are also not
listed. Those of you who have rebuild your own
 distributors please help me and tell me what parts I need and where can I get
them.

Thank You

Jorge Garcia

Houston, TX