Re: frost plugs

To: Allen C Miller <acmiller@mhcable.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: frost plugs
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:13:05 -0700
Sounds to me like the plug wasn't installed properly. Just clean up the bore
and install a new one making sure to strike it hard enough to seat it. It
will show a dimple in the middle when this is done.

No amount of steam pressure (assuming the engine was extremely overheated)
would cause the plug to blow if it were properly installed. There are many
weaker points in the system. The plug was so lose that the normal coolant
pressure (about 7 psi) was enough to unseat it.

Bill Lawrence

On 10/21/04 5:19 PM, "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com> wrote:

> After just 1000 miles on the rebuild, one of the new frost plugs blew,
> presumably by reason of not getting it in correctly. Fortunately, the engine
> killed when the antifreeze spewed over the distributor and coil. I'm not happy
> with the rebuilder, but all in all not the worst thing. Had only driven four
> miles, and the engine killed from the fluid hitting the ignition.Has anyone
> had that kind of mishap?
>
> The radiator was relatively cool (120 deg), but enough steam had built in the
> block to blow the plug. Would this indicate low water, or perhaps a thermostat
> problem.?
>
> Ironically, I have just bought a supplemental water gauge to go in the head on
> suggestion of Chris Dimmock . It will be one of the first things I do.
>
> Allen Miller BN2/M

Check out the new British Cars Forum: