Re: Rubber Bits

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber Bits
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:24:25 -0500
David,
You are not alone with your rubber parts troubles. Several years ago I
replaced the rubber steering ball joint gaiters (covers) only to have
them disintegrate while I completed the restoration. They were never
subjected to water, salt or direct sun light since the car was garaged.
I replaced them with similar items purchased at a local Hyundai dealer
which are standing up well.

The firms that are reproducing these rubber items are not formulating
the rubber correctly. Auto companies apparently aware of the proper
formulation because these types of failures do not occur on normal
production products.

Is there any way for restorers to make sure they are buying high quality
long lasting products? It would be great if there were a complete list
rubber items for a BJ8 (for example) and where to buy them along with
user comments. Maybe something like it already exists and I am not aware
of it?

Alan Schultz
67HBJ8
53JagMK7            .

davidwjones wrote:

>I haven't seen any discussion about this, so maybe I am having more trouble
>with this than others.
>
>One of the things I am noticing on my fairly newly restored car is the rapid
>deterioration of a lot of the all-new rubber bits on the car. Some seem to
>hold up, ok. While some have cracked badly already. Some are minor, like gauge
>O-rings, others are either expensive, or a paint to replace, like steering
>boots, or the rubber windshield post pads.
>So, 3 main categories of question:
>
>1.) Is there any one or two sources whose rubber reproduction parts hold up
>better than from others?
>
>2.) What environmental factors affect the deterioration rate of all of the
>rubber bits? -Hot garage in summer? Cold garage in winter? Sun? Wind? Acid
>rain? Meteor showers?
>
>3.) Are any of the rubber "protectant" products really any good? -Armor all
>etc? Any proof of function?
>
>I never used to pay any attention to these things, plus the rubber seemed to
>hold up better. Now, having been restored, the shredded rubber bits are
>annoying and seem constant.
>So I'm wondering if it can be prevented somehow, or is it just a necessity to
>keep a note pad in the car to keep a running list of replacement rubber bits
>needing to be ordered?
>
>David W. Jones
>'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
>Cumberland, RI USA