Re: 65BJ8 solid state ignition, and, carb heat shieldmaterials?

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 65BJ8 solid state ignition, and, carb heat shieldmaterials?
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:21:10 -0700 (PDT)
Fair enough Tom.  I don't intend to get into a pissing match over it, but
points have worked very well for me over the years in several cars.  My Datsun
Roadster has over 200k miles on it and was my daily driver for many years.  My
'70 Chev gets driven 10-12k miles per year and I rely on it to earn my living.
If replacing points every year or two in the course of a normal tune-up and
distributor service (required even with Pertronix) is too much trouble, then by
all means make the change, but if more frequent fiddling is required it is a
sign that you have other distributor problems.

Again, no bias against Pertronix, or the people who use them : ),  I just don't
see any compelling reason to change.

John

tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net> wrote:
As the points wear, as they do, it affects the dwell------and,
consequently, you need to check and possible re-set the dwell--i.e.,
fiddle. Now, if you have points and drive very little, well, leave em in.
If you drive a lot like like I do, points are NOT the way to go. Again,
JMHO. Oh--and even if you have the wear, Pertronix doesn't care:)

distributor. I haven't fiddled with the points in my BN7 since replacing
them as part of a distributor service two years ago. I haven't fiddled
with the points in my Datsun 2000 Roadster since installing a new
distributor five years ago. I do fiddle with the points in my '70 Chev
work truck every couple of years, it's called a tune up!

> No bias against Pertronix, just a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it".

> John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: