Re: HS4 Jet (Jet Centering)

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HS4 Jet (Jet Centering)
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:08:19 -0500
I read a couple of comments that it it better to take the carb off to center
the jet.  I have always had good luck doing the procedure (from memory
anyway) that is in most of not all of the factory and Haynes manuals I have
had over the years on cars with SU carbs, of which I have had a few.

Loosen the jet securing or centering nut, screw he jet up all the way or
total lean mixture, tighten the jet securing nut, should be centered, esp.
because the jet will be down lower at running setting and taper of the
needle and the centering action of what you just did should take care of the
centering.

Like it says on a shampoo bottle (rinse, lather repeat) if it doesn't seem
to work the first time try again, it is quick and easy, if it doesn't work
after a couple or three tries you have another problem, weak return springs
linkage problem, parts that the tolerences are out of whack.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: