Re: BJ8 Clutch

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: BJ8 Clutch
From: Paul Baker <paulbaker51@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:11:49 +0000 (GMT)
Listers,

Many thanks to all those who responded to my plea for help.  All your responses
pointed to the flexible hose being the culprit.  I fitted one of the
teflon/stainless steel flex hoses which solved the problem and the clutch feels
considerably lighter and faster than it ever has done.  However, I have an
annoying seeping of fluid from the union between the flex hose and the slave
cylinder that I have yet to cure without over-tightening the nut.  I'll save
that problem for tomorrow.

Paul

66 BJ8
67 BJ8

Paul Baker <paulbaker51@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Dear listers,

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The clutch on my 66 BJ8 was working fine but I decided to change a leaking
clutch slave cylinder with a new replacement. After fitting the new part I bled
the system with new Dot 4 fluid and found that the clutch pedal was very hard
to push down and did not want to return quickly to the up position. Assuming I
had left some air in the system, I re-bled the system which made no difference.

I contacted the supplier who suggested that some dirt may have contaminated the
one way valve in the master cylinder so suggested either replacing the master
cylinder or rebuilding with a kit. Due to time constraints, I opted for the
replacement and fitted the new master cylinder and re-bled the system.

The clutch operation is now much lighter to depress but the clutch pedal will
not return quickly to up position making a fast gear change or double de-clutch
almost impossible. In addition, if I pump the clutch quickly, after the fourth
or fifth depression it will stop on the way down as if I were pressing the
brake pedal!!

Do I have a problem with one of the parts or have I missed something here? TIA.

Paul

66 BJ8 works rep
67 BJ8

Moving house? Beach bar in Thailand? New Wardrobe? Win #10k with Yahoo! Mail to
make your dream a reality.