Overdrive Solenoid adjustment - Don't do what I did

To: "Healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overdrive Solenoid adjustment - Don't do what I did
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:21:30 -0500
After a rebuild of my tranny and overdrive I had initial success with the
operation of the overdrive and then it stopped engaging. It turned out to be a
little bit of metal filings sitting on one of the valve seats.

During the process of sorting out the cause I decided to adjust the solenoid
and lever so that I would get maximum movement of the arm. This turned out to
be a mistake. The solenoid piston actually needs to bottom out so that it can
hit the switch inside the coil and lower the current. If it doesn't it will
burn out. The initial current draw to get the piston moving is enough cook the
part.

My mistake was that I had adjusted the lever so that it was pushing the valve
operating pin with the largest stroke possible. This is not necessary. All
that is required is a small crack in the valve seat to allow pressurization of
the big operating pistons of the OD. My adjustment resulted in not bottoming
out the solenoid and subsequent BAD SMELL. I think some smoke leaked out as
well.

Bottom line is.. Make sure that the solenoid piston travels its full range of
motion.

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2