Re: rear end growl continued

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Subject: Re: rear end growl continued
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:06:52 -0700
Hi Ken,

The .030 is much closer to being correct. I think you may have a pinion
gear shim issue. I have been told that the pinion gear depth setting
shims sometimes break up & cause excessive gear backlash. Either that or
there is a bearing/gear problem. There could possibly be a transmission
problem also, but there is definitely a ring & pinion problem. The
pinion securing nut is not loose I hope. Maybe Earl Kagna will jump in
on this.

Dave Russell
Bn2

Freese, Ken wrote:
 > We did notice a clickety clack noise that seemed to come from the
 > diff and that there was almost 1/4 inch rotational slack at the
 > pinion flange while my spare diff is more like .030!
snip