Re: Comments sought on British Racing Green

To: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>,
Subject: Re: Comments sought on British Racing Green
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:25:24 -0500
Hi David,
You know, I never thought about it, but you are right from a purely aesthetic
point of view, the high gloss BRG that I have seen just doesn't look right. I
though it was the color, but it may be that the original lacquer had a more
"waxy" less glassy appearance to it. Maybe the paint formulation people can
help you out there.
As far as value and originality go, it does not matter whether your car
individually was originally sprayed in the color of your current choice or
not. What does matter was whether your car model or year were originally
AVAILABLE in the color you choose. (Unless of course the particular car had
some historical significance. You would not paint "Goldie" Healey blue....)
-So for your model and year, Colorado Red or red over black would be original,
but BRG did not appear until the BJ7. But as you say, if you are not selling,
it is a question as to whether it matters.
I have always thought that the big Healey looks amazing in BRG, and I would
have had a hard time choosing between that and C. red/black for my BT7 had BRG
been an original color for my car.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA