Re: OIL TEMP GAUGE

To: John Trifari <jtrifari@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: OIL TEMP GAUGE
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:12:31 -0700
Hi John,

To be effective, the oil temp. sender needs to be in the oil sump &
below the normal oil level. The best way is to remove the sump, drill a
hole, & weld/braze/silver solder a pickup adapter fitting to the sump.
You "might" get some kind of reading by drilling & adapting the fuel
pump blockoff plate to fit the sender.  Make sure that it doesn't extend
so far that it hits the cam. This & other above the oil mountings would
be a poor substitute though. On a temporary basis, you could adapt the
sender to the sump drain plug. Pretty vulnerable to damage though. An
electric pickup will have the same problems except that the fragile
pressure tube would be eliminated.

You "might" Drill a small hole in the sump & enlarge/flare it inward
with a tapered punch so that it could be tapped to fit the sender. The
flare would give several threads worth of contact. Not guaranteed to be
leak proof. I hope someone has a better idea.

Dave Russell
BN2