Engine storage ideas

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Engine storage ideas
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:24:04 -0500
After much work and money spent ,my engine is finally coming together.   The
lower block is back together, new oil pump greased and installed.  Head
installed and  valves adjusted.  All crank,and cam bearings as well as the
lifters have been coated with assembly grease.   The block was hot tanked and
is  completely free of paint and grease.

However its time for a winters nap here in IN.  What is the recommendation of
the list on how far I should take this assembly at this time in order to
protect my asset throught the winter months?

Also I don't expect to fire it up for another year or so .  It will remain
hanging on the engine stand.

1-  reinstall  oil pan permanently or temporarily without gasket at this
stage.   My concern is whether condensation would be kept lower by doing one
or the other?

2- Install new water pump, oil filter unit, distributor etc.  to cover up
holes so moisture won't penetrate into the block or just tape everything off
and keep the ancillaries indoors in a dry place for now.

3- What areas should be shot with lube to protect from moisture.

4- Just wrap the thing up in plastic and tape for now until I need the engine
and then install the ancillaries later.

5- Turn it over by hand every now and then or just leave it alone.

I really want to do this right so no harm is done to the interior workings of
this unit.

FYI,  My garage is tight and dry at this time.

Thanks,  Mark