Re: brake fluid

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:36:19 -0600
If you want to avoid gumming up your system by using cheaper "american"
brake fluid I would think you would want to be sure that:

1.  All rubber parts in your system had been replaced

2.  All rubber  had been replaced with the new sythetic stuff or whatever is
compatible

A lot of the brake rebuild kits I have seen for our old cars have sat on the
shelf for some time, so how can you be sure?

I would run Castrol brake fluid, which is a little more, but I can find it
even in my relatively rural midwestern town in Nebraska at the local auto
parts stores or at least some of them.

Silicone fluid was mentioned as an alternative as well.  I have nothing
against silicone (some do) but if you  want to save money and are concerned
about compatibility silicone would not be the way to go, it is very
expensive, and the system should be drained of the old fluid and cleaned
before putting the silicone in, because it is not compatible with either dot
3 or 4 fluid.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1