Oil Pressure

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Pressure
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:37:58 EST
In a message dated 12/21/04 4:59:00 PM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> 50F degrees today
> Engine temp 160 after driving a bit
>
> 25lb reading at idle
> 40- 60lb when reving
> 40-ish when crusing
>
> I don't remember it running at 25 before. I have been driving on and oof due
> to repairs.
>
> Thanks!

yes, you should be worried; it shouldn't be that high!

Actually, 25 at idle after a good run is a very good number; 20 is often more
typical on engines with more hours on them, and 15 isn't really terrible. One
thing I always do after a good trip is to pull into the driveway and leave
the car running while I open the garage door. Then I check the idle. 20-25 and
know the car is already looking forward to the next trip.

Cheers
Gary Anderson

p.s. to Carlos from another concours guy who's not off on an Oahu beach with
Perry Small this week: vintage racers are STRONGLY recommended to put an
aluminum facing over the firewall to close off all the holes so that a bad fire
in
the engine compartment won't be blow-torched back into the interior. Just keep
in mind that some of the clearances for work at the back of the engine are
already pretty tight, and you may not want to give up as much space as you're
thinking about.