Re - Brakes

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, blprince@comcast.net
Subject: Re - Brakes
From: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:43:59 +0000 (GMT)
Ben,

Re your problem getting fluid into your brake system. Nothing much to add to
Michael Salter's response except to say that I recently rebuilt the master
cylinder on my 100. I did not bother to bench bleed the cylinder. I fitted it
back on the car dry, and filled the system using one of the bleed kits you can
get from the likes of Autozone [a small bottle with polythene lines and a
little non-return valve]. The system filled fine, although I then had to use
the "open bleed screw/wife press brake pedal/close bleed screw/wife lift pedal
etc" a couple of times at each wheel to get all the last bits of air out and
get a firm pedal.

You must have a blockage somewhere and the lack of free play, as Michael says,
is the most likely cause. If that doesn't fix the problem, I would disconnect
the brake lines, starting at the outlet of the master cylinder, checking that
each length of line is clear.

Good luck

Mike Brooks