Re: front suspension play

To: "healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: front suspension play
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:10:01 -0800
John,

re:
"I replaced the sway bar rubber bushings, but I am not sure how tight to
tighten the nuts.  It seems that the bushings can be over squished."

I always use the rule-of-thumb my father (former autoshop teacher and
designer and Ford factory rep) taught me:  tighten until the flats of the rubber
bush expand to the diameter of the flatwasher (or just a little less, if you get
nervous ;)

Always worked for me, though you might use a little less squish for urethane,
nylon or really hard rubber bushes.

BTW,  I tried urethane bushes for sway bar links but kept snapping the links
(I haven't seen any links that appear to be made of high-quality steel).

bs

Subject: front suspension play