Re: Fibreglass transmission tunnel

To: "j.aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Subject: Re: Fibreglass transmission tunnel
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:30:15 +0800
Jack -

Let me try to answer your questions in Dutch.... NOT!!

ok here we go...

When carrying out
> repairs on the fibreglass, can I do it on the inside to keep the outside as
> smooth as possible or do I run the risk that when I install the thing (next
> year or so!) it hits the gearbox?

Some areas around the shift changer and the OD are quite close and may
be a problem.  If repairs are forward around the gearbox itself or the
bell housing, you should have plenty of space.  The closest part, i
believe, is the part of the tunnel next to the OD cutout switch
located on the gear shifter (on the left hand side towards the back).

> My second question is about the flange where the gearbox lever passes through.
> That flange is cracked/torn in four places and it will get much thicker
> because of the repair. Is there anything that gets in the way when this flange
> thickens? Is the gear lever gaiter (which I don't have yet) fitted to this
> flange?

Yes, the gear lever gaiter fits to the flange, but it is rubber and
should be able to stay on even with some repair.  The gear lever
gaiter needs about 1/4" to seat on the flange, so if you can repair it
in such a way to keep the first 1/4" clear from the flange edge that
would be best.  I think you will be fine with clearance to the gear
box otherwise in this area.

> Finally: I found a metal strip with two 10-32 studs popriveted to the top of
> the tunnel, about 2 inches in front of the gearbox lever hole. Can't find it
> in any part book - was this for the P.O.'s coke bottle holder or is it an
> official part?

This is officially the least useful mounting on the BJ8.  There is a
bracket which attaches to the back of the centre console... this
bracket then attaches to the tunnel at these points.  To be honest
this bracket is useless, I never mount it up.

> Apologies for these stupid questions but as I said: I bought the car in
> pieces.
> Thanks as usual and regards from a snow covered Holland with the coldest March
> night ever since mankind started noting the temperatures: minus 20.7 C which I
> calculated as minus 5 Fahrenheit. (Why don't you in the USA change over to a
> decent metric temperature system? Even the English did it!)

Because President Carter tried to put in the Metric System in 1975 but
the US Congress hated him... so nothing ever got done even though it
was a good idea!  To be honest, the only real reason is the US
government is unresponsive and lazy (the US Gov't is very large).  I
don't think the US Government has actually undertaken a new initiative
of any consequence since WWII.

Cheers,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8